Thursday, January 13, 2011

Adversities of life

In the past year, there were a couple of moments where reality hits that life on earth is only temporary. These were sad moments. I remember the day when I got a message from an old friend with news that a university mate of ours whom I was close to during those days lost the battle with breast cancer, leaving behind her 3 year old daughter and husband. I was shocked and dumbfounded to say the least. How can that be?! She was only 30 years old. A few months later I received an email requesting prayer for another friend whose dad was diagnosed with cancer. Not long after that he passed away.

Recently, a very good friend of mine had her baby very much prematurely. Her baby didn't make it. I was so deeply affected by the news that my heart ached and I sobed for her and her baby. I didn't know what to say. How do you console someone who have loved and lost so much? If only I can take away her pain but I can't. So I prayed. I prayed for her, her husband and her little one who has gone to be with the Lord. To my dear friend, this song is for you:

O soul are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Saviour,
And life more abundant and free.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

- Helen H. Lemmel

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful song. The sorrow of such a loss would be unbelievable. There is some comfort knowing that the little one has been chosen to be taken to heaven bypassing all the troubles of this world. But if Jesus who was here only 33 years could have an impact on so many lives over the past 2000 plus years, perhaps this small child who was only here for such a short period will also have a similar impact on many lives to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sorrow. How deep the heart can feel. How much more it propels us to love one another and give back everyday. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete